Monday, April 21, 2008

In Honor of Earth Day


























Last Tuesday, my third grade students hosted a Discovery Courtyard Walking Tour to celebrate wise use of our environment. It was a thrill to see the students taking ownership of our mini micro-habitats.



Parents and grandparents were treated to our "Secret Garden". Teams shared insights on the Prairie Grasslands Region, Solar Power Project, Desert Plateau Region, Woodlands Region, and Pond Ecosystem.



The Mountain View Elementary Discovery Courtyard has been a project in the making over the last eight years since the school opened in 2000. It has earned the National Wildlife Federation's Schoolyard Habitat honors. Students are eager to engage in outdoor learning projects in this Discovery Courtyard setting.




--mj

2 comments:

Unknown said...

(I'm not sure if my comment took, since I may not have signed in correctly, feel free to delete a duplicate.)

This is great to see your students so engaged and excited about "the environment". Thanks for sharing.

LifeLongLearner said...

I appreciate your support of our outdoor learning project. The time commitment has been huge as I spent many early morning hours writing grants. It is time well spent when I see the eyes twinkle as students use higher level thinking skills while they discover new concepts.